In the News
Company Gets Top Award from Department of Defense
outhern Company was named a winner of the 2010 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award — the highest honor given by the Department of Defense to employers for support of employees who serve in the National Guard or Reserve.
Southern Company was one of only 15 winners from a field of approximately 2,500 companies nominated for the 2010 Freedom Award and was the only utility winner.
Companies are nominated by employees who are Guard or Reserve members, or their family members. Nominees then provide material that supports their candidacy. Through collaboration with operating companies and business units systemwide, Southern Company submitted a comprehensive entry containing articles, examples, anecdotes, and even handwritten letters demonstrating the company's commitment to the military.
This is the 15th year the Department of Defense has presented the Freedom Award.
The nominees were judged by a national selection board sponsored by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates and composed of senior defense officials, business leaders and prior Freedom Award recipients. The board weighed each nominee on such criteria as company benefits, provision of full salary during deployment, care packages, program initiatives and support of family members while employees are on active duty.
Southern Company and the other 14 winners will receive their awards Sept. 23 in Washington.
The other 2010 award recipients, ranging from a small plumbing company to a state government to a large grocery store chain, include:
- Bill Bragg Plumbing — San Francisco, Calif.
- City of Irvine Police Department — Irvine, Calif.
- Dollar General Corporation — Goodlettsville, Tenn.M
- East Carolina University — Greenville, N.C.
- Food Lion — Salisbury, N.C.
- Franklin's Printing — Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- Hawaii State Government — Honolulu, Hawaii
- Intuit — Mountain View, Calif.
- Legacy Sports International — Reno, Nev.
- Logistics Health Inc. — La Crosse, Wis.
- MERCK and Company Inc. — Whitehouse Station, N.J.
- Michigan Department of State Police — Lansing, Mich.
- Newmont Mining Corporation — Denver, Colo.
- Yerecic Label — New Kensington, Pa.