Southern Company and its subsidiaries are committed to partnering with others to promote conservation and environmental stewardship in the communities we live, work and play.
Since 1999, Southern Company and its subsidiaries have partnered with communities, conservation organizations and natural resource agencies to improve local water quality and fish habitat through debris removal, stream buffers or reefs; provide outdoor classrooms and ecotourism through park, riverfront, wetland and coastal area enhancements; and engage citizens in on-the-ground restoration.
Renew Our Rivers
Renew Our Rivers, one of many community engagement initiatives, is the longest running, grassroots stewardship program.
Since 2000, our subsidiaries have led Renew Our Rivers, a national award-winning campaign to remove debris from rivers and other waterways originated by an Alabama Power employee. This grassroots volunteer program has grown into community watershed cleanups on river systems and other waterways in four southeastern states.
The Renew Our Rivers program has won over 20 prestigious awards, including:
- Keep Columbus Beautiful Commission Litter Prevention/Cleanup Award - Alabama Power
- Keep Mississippi Beautiful - Business Category
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Gulf Guardian Award - Second Place
- EPA Gulf of Mexico Program Award - Business Category
- Mississippi Wildlife Federation Corporate Conservationist of the Year
- Keep America Beautiful - Education in Litter Prevention
To get involved or learn more about Renew Our Rivers and other waterway cleanups, check out what’s happening in your community: