Plant Vogtle Emergency Preparedness
At Plant Vogtle, safety is our number one priority. Of all the things we do, we are first and foremost committed to ensuring the safety and health of our plant employees and neighbors.
We have comprehensive emergency plans in place – in partnership with local, state and federal agencies – that prepare for the unexpected and provide layer upon layer of redundant safety features.
Another way we work to keep you safe is by making sure you know exactly how to respond in the unlikely event of a plant emergency.
Please familiarize yourself with Plant Vogtle’s emergency information to ensure you’re prepared to protect yourself and your family. We encourage you to bookmark this page on your mobile device.
The People Involved in the Emergency Plan
Emergency Alert Stations
Evactuation Routes and Information
Emergency Planning Zone Map
Use these tools to ensure you know how to react in the event of an emergency. Safety is our first value at Southern Nuclear and your family's safety is our priority.
Who is Involved in the Emergency Plan?
State and local government agencies have plans to protect you if there is an accident at Plant Vogtle. Some of the agencies involved are:
Aiken County, S.C., Emergency Management Agency
Allendale County, S.C., Emergency Management Agency
Barnwell County, S.C., Emergency Management Agency
Burke County Emergency Management Agency
Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency
South Carolina Emergency Management Division
South Carolina Department of Health and
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
Georgia and South Carolina Governors’ Offices
Any serious emergency would generally develop over time. There would normally be plenty of time for you to be notified and for you to take action.
Emergency Contact Information
For more information about emergency plans, call 706-554-2127. A recorded public information line will be activated in the event of an emergency. Please call 1-888-847-1186 for the latest recorded update. You may also visit www.georgiapower.com for the latest update.
To contact the state or your local emergency management agency, use the contact information provided below.
gema.ga.gov800-TRY-GEMA or 800-879-4362
SOUTH CAROLINA EMA
AIKEN COUNTY, S.C.
Emergency Management Agency 803-642-1623
ALLENDALE COUNTY, S.C.
Emergency Management Agency 803-584-4081
BARNWELL COUNTY, S.C.
Emergency Management Agency 803-259-7013
BURKE COUNTY, GA.
Emergency Management Agency 706-554-6651
Emergency Alert Stations
WKXC-FM 99.5 Aiken, S.C.
WDOG-FM 93.5 Allendale, S.C.
WDOG-AM 1460 Allendale, S.C.
WPCH-AM 1380 North Augusta, S.C.
WBBQ-FM 104.3 North Augusta, S.C.
WLUB-FM 105.7 North Augusta, S.C.
WBAW-FM 99.1 Barnwell, S.C.
WGAC-AM 580 Augusta, Ga.
WYFA-FM 107.1 Waynesboro, Ga.
WJBF-TV Channel 6 Augusta, Ga.
WRDW-TV Channel 12 Augusta, Ga.
WAGT-TV Channel 26 Augusta, Ga.
WFXG-TV Channel 54 Augusta, Ga.
A false alarm of the emergency sirens is possible because of lightning or other events. If you hear the emergency sirens and you hear NO emergency information on the Emergency Alerting System (EAS) station, then the alarm is probably false.
If this happens, please contact the local Emergency Management Agency office with any questions.
Evacuation Routes and Information
Evacuation Route 1
- Ben Hatcher Road to Shell Bluff Spur to Georgia Highway 80 to Georgia Highway 56 to Burke Veterans Parkway/US-25 S to GA 24 N to Southside Dr. to Burke County High School
Evacuation Route 2
- Hancock Landing Road to Botsford Church Road to Seven Oaks Road to Cates Mead Road to Highway 56 to Burke Veterans Parkway/US-25 S to GA 24 N to Southside Dr. to Burke County High School
Evacuation Route 3
- Ebenezer Church Road to Highway 23 to Thompson Bridge Road to Georgia Highway 24 to Southside Dr. to Burke County High School
Evacuation Route 4
- Brigham’s Landing Road to Georgia Highway 23 to Tom Bargeron Road to Georgia Highway 24 to Southside Dr. to Burke County High School
- Royal Road to Stoney Bluff Road to Georgia Highway 23 to Tom Bargeron Road to Georgia Highway 24 to Southside Dr. to Burke County High School
Evacuation Route 5
(Zone G-10, Cowden Plantation)
- West on County Road 5 to County Road 63 north to County Road 57 west to U.S. Highway 278 north to South Carolina Highway 302 north to South Aiken High School
Evacuation Route 6
- South on South Carolina Highway 125 to U.S. Highway 278 to Allendale-Fairfax High School
If you reside within the 10-mile emergency planning zone of one of our nuclear facilities, please visit your respective site to learn about information sources, checklists, emergency routes and reception centers.